Submerging ourselves in water, whether in a bath tub, pool, hot spring, lake or ocean is something that benefits our health. There is nothing more relaxing than going for a swim in the ocean on a hot day or having a hot bath in the winter.
Both the use of hot and cold water can have beneficial effects on the body. Hot water to eliminate toxins, soothe inflammation, and calm us down, and cold water to alleviate damage caused by strenuous physical activity, and to help repair the body. No matter the temperature, the health benefits of taking a bath have been scientifically proven to help the mind and body.
- Taking a warm bath will make your heart beat faster and can give it a healthy work out. ( Not too hot, or this can cause unnecessary strain on your heart).
- Studies have shown, an hour long bath does the body the same amount of good a 30 minute walk.
- When the water is warm and your heart is beating faster, your oxygen intake improves and the steam created by the water can clear your sinuses and chest.
- A bath can reduce pain and inflammation and also calm the nervous system, reducing the levels of stress and anxiety in the body and improving your mood.
- A warm bath makes your blood flow easier, increases oxygen, allowing you to breathe deeper and slower, especially when taking in steam. This can kill bacteria and improve immunity and help relieve the symptoms of cold and flu.
- Warm water can increase levels of serotonin, the hormone responsible for making us feel happy, alternatively, a cold bath can help us balance cortisol and adrenaline levels.
- Helps hydrate your body, through steam and minerals in the water, for an added boost, add some essential oils to the water to take in with the steam, or some bath soak, for extra minerals to soak your body in.
- The quickest way to regulate your body temperature, weather you are too hot and need to cool off, or freezing cold and have trouble getting warm, a bath is the fastest (and safest) way to make your body comfortable.
Did you know our Organic Botanical Hand and Body Wash can double as Bubble Bath? Just add 6 pumps to the running water as you are filling your tub, and voila, a lavender scented bubble bath.